Govan Old Parish Church:
Early English gothic styled large church serving the parish of Govan designed by architect Robert Rowand Anderson (1834-1921). Constructed from 1882-84 this is one of the oldest church sites in Glasgow with this being at least the fourth church at this site. Built in the late 19th century the building is part of the great gothic revival which saw churches and buildings constructed throughout the UK re-imagining and recreating the medieval gothic style of architecture, whilst embracing modern building techniques of the time such as the use of machine cut stone and steel and iron to achieve roof. Anderson was once again called upon by the church when in 1910-12 the chancel was lengthened. The building is rough and polished ashlar utilising the indigenous blond sandstone prevalent in the West of Scotland to provide an impressive high vault over the nave with fine carving on the exterior and buttresses ranging down each flank. The north elevation has an octagonal tower to each side crowned by octagonal spires to either side of the large rose window which dominates this elevation.
Sited in a large churchyard with gravestones and monuments dating back to beofre the church's dedication the church is a peaceful and tranquil green space on the south bank of the River Clyde in the heart of Govan. A future visit is to be arranged where interior photographs will be taken, including photographs of the stained glass which is reputed to be of a very fine quality and drawing on medieval and Flemish design for its inspiration. The building is A listed

street address: 886 Govan Road, Glasgow, G51 3UU
Latitude / Longitude: 55.864395,-4.313018 (sourced using Google Maps)
site visit dates: 24 June 2011 & 07 January 2012

landmark plaque on the south front elevation (24/06/11)


view of the south elevation and along the east elevation which is the side of the church (24/06/11)


main doorway to the church with triple sets of deeply recessed gothic arches forming the entrance and windows to each side (24/06/11)


view up one of the two polished ashlar fronted buttresses providing support to the south elevation wall (24/06/11)


the stone cross adroning the peak of the south elevation (24/06/11)


south elevation and view up the west side elevation (24/06/11)


top of the west buttresses on the south-west corner of the building (24/06/11)


south end of the west elevation (24/06/11)


doorway on the west elevation (24/06/11)


view up the west elevation with lancet gothic arch windows (24/06/11)


south elevation of the west transept protruding for the west elevation forming the cruciform plan shape of the church. Above a round stone chimney rises skyward (24/06/11)


doorway on the south elevation of the west transept (24/06/11)


chipped column capital at the doorway on the south elevation of the west transept (24/06/11)


looking up at the angle where the west transept intersects with the west church elevation (24/06/11)


the round stone chimney which rises from the west transept (24/06/11)


view south back down the west elevation (24/06/11)


view of the north elevation and down the long west elevation from the neighbouring minor housing estate (24/06/11)


west elevation detail (24/06/11)


view up part of the west elevation (24/06/11)


a secondary chimney visible along the west elevation with access ladder to its rear from the slate covered roof (24/06/11)


steps up to the doorway on the north side of the west transept (24/06/11)


a pair of seagulls sit atop the north elevation, here viewed from the north-west (24/06/11)


the north elevation. This photograph was taken in January 2012 from across the River Clyde. The large amount of trees and bushes obscuring the lower portion of the building which was present in June 2011 has been removed, this area was in June 2011 littered with empty alcohol containers and used needles and drug paraphenalia, another example of why caution must always been taken when visiting sites (07/01/12)


base of the central portion of the north elevation (24/06/11)


endless cans and bottles litter the rear of the church were the heavy vegetation growth provided seclusion for the outdoor drinker (24/06/11)


top of the east elevation (24/06/11)


the towers of the north elevation form the east (24/06/11)


east elevation, viewed from the church graveyard (24/06/11)


part of the east elevation (24/06/11)


two gothic arched windows form part of the east eelvation above the slate roofed aisles (24/06/11)


gothic arched window (24/06/11)



houses of god
----------------------------------
houses of god homepage

----------------------------------
calton new parish church
----------------------------------
finnieston church
----------------------------------
glasgow cathedral
----------------------------------
govan old parish church
----------------------------------
queen's cross church
----------------------------------
ruchill church hall
----------------------------------
st andrews by the green
----------------------------------
st charles of borromeo
----------------------------------
st columba's parish church
----------------------------------
st columba's (interior)
----------------------------------
st teresa's, possilpark
----------------------------------
st vincent st, u.p. church
----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------
website homepage
----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------

all images and content copyright © 2013 - architectureglasgow.co.uk
please do not use without permission: contact@architectureglasgow.co.uk

disclaimer & copyright information


- home - building index - about - web links - contact -

www.architectureglasgow.co.uk www.derelictglasgow.co.uk

the church sited in large grounds (24/06/11)
view from the north from across the River Clyde. To the left of the photograph can be seen the white tower atop the Pearce Institute, the square tower to the right is the top of St Andrews RC church in Govan (07/01/12)




next building in the house of god category

back to top