Calton New Parish Church - now known as St Luke's & St Andrew's Parish Church:
One of the older churches to be found in Glasgow and designed by the architect James Wylson (1811-1870), with a building date appearing on the north end of the west facade of 1836. The church was originally known as St. Luke's Established church. In the late 19th century the church underwent further work by the architect David Thomson, who then returned and designed a further extension of the Church Halls. Fire damage in 1924 meant the church underwent another period of construction when the interior was reconstructed. Today the building survives with a pediment style top to the west frontage, originally there was a bell tower over this facade, and the church halls have been demolished, long since replaced by a low brick extension to the south. The building date of 1992 over the west facade indicates the most recent frontage remodelling date.
The west facade is painted ashlar, which on further investigation appears to be as a result of damage to the sandstone under the paint layer. The paint has allowed for the facade to be tidied up and possibly it also masks repairs and thus unifies the elevation. There are however issues with the application of such painted layers, including a lack of breathability which can hasten the decay of the sandstone as well as the new renewal cycle which paint will eventually require.
The north and south ashlar elevations are punctuated by four window bays. The east end has a projecting central apse with two windows, one facing north-east, and the other facing south-east. Currently known as St. Luke's and St. Andrew's Parish Church, the building is still a working church and also home the PEEK charity who work with east end kids. The building is category B listed.


street address: 17 Bain Street, Glasgow, G40 2JZ
Latitude / Longitude: 55.854706,-4.234692 (sourced using Google Maps)

North-west corenr, showing the frontage of the west facade, and the unpainted ashlar north elevation with its four window bays. The modern low brick extension to the south of the front elevation can be seen to the right of the photograph.


approach to the west front elevation


front symmetrical elevation, with painted ashlar, greatly remodelled from the original design, having lost the arched window over the main door and cupola above


classically styled pilasters flanking the arched main entrance door, overall the church is modest and simple in its design


above the main entrance


further renovation date inscribed on the west front


narrow arched window of the west facade. The windows are stained glass.


to the north end of the west elevation a simple heavily proportioned classically styled gateway steps out from the building, the gated entrance opens to a fenced off pathway along the north elevation of the church. When built the neighbouring building to the north linked to the north side of this gateway.


original building date


north-west corner, the rough stonework on the north of the gateway reveals the former building line of the neighbouring building (now demolished)


north elevation


west end of the north elevation


east end of the north elevation, the east end apse can be clearly seen


north-east corner


east elevation with the projecting apse with two windows


east end of the church


south-west corner of the church and the low dark brick extension in the foreground




back to top



houses of god
----------------------------------
houses of god homepage

----------------------------------
calton new parish church
----------------------------------
finnieston church
----------------------------------
glasgow cathedral
----------------------------------
govan old parish church
----------------------------------
queen's cross church
----------------------------------
ruchill church hall
----------------------------------
st andrews by the green
----------------------------------
st charles of borromeo
----------------------------------
st columba's parish church
----------------------------------
st columba's (interior)
----------------------------------
st teresa's, possilpark
----------------------------------
st vincent st, u.p. church
----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------
website homepage
----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------

all images and content copyright © 2013 - architectureglasgow.co.uk
please do not use without permission: contact@architectureglasgow.co.uk

disclaimer & copyright information


- home - building index - about - web links - contact -

www.architectureglasgow.co.uk www.derelictglasgow.co.uk