Leyland Motor Company:
Built circa 1933 and attributed by the Dictionnary of Scottish Architects to James Miller (1860-1947) this art deco styled (streamlined moderne) building occupies the corner site of Mauchline and Salkeld Street in the city's southside just north of the new M74 motor extension (opened 2012). Originally the building was the Glasgow home of Leyland Motor Company (founded 1896 in north-west England). More recently it was used by Strathclyde Police as a stable and dog headquarters, now relocated to Stewarton and Pollok Country park respectively. So now the building is unoccupied, and petty vandalism and many instances of graffitti have begun to appear. Thus the building is showing some of the first signs that befall those buildings which do not benefit from occupation and hence in the early stages of the path into dereliction; a path assured unless a new occupier is soon found.
The exterior comprises of two long twin storey brick elevations with a stone lower band rising from floor to sill and then fluted stone pilasters rising between each window bay, 7 on the north, and 8 on the east forming an L shape. The long strip windows of each bay have modern uPVC glazing, which maintain the art deco styling by virtue of their horizontal proportions and long transoms, but lack the character of the original metal fenestration. At first floor level these modern windows have replaced the original windows which are stated by Historic Scotland to have been curved. The rear of the building comprises of a trio of pitched roof warehouses with large metal trusses spanning each space creating large open spaces within. These plain warehouses with the L shape flat roofed art deco north and east office spaces together form the near rectangular whole of the building.
The north-east corner is remarkable for the building's most prominent feature; a curved fronted four storey tower punching skyward with a squared south-west rear and curved north-east turn of the corner. The ground floor entrance at the corner comprises of a pair of wrought iron gates with a flat canopy above. Through the gates a lobby with a mosiaced floor leads the visitor to the front internal door of the building. Above the ground floor canopy rises the further three storeys of the tower with vertical fluted piers soaring unbroken upwards with horizontal banding at each floor and curved windows between (now boarded). At roof level the tower is finished off by a triple coursed red sandstone band encirlcing the tower's flat roof. To each side of the tower at first floor level a pair of wrought iron railed original balconies are sited linking back to the stone wall from where the tower springs. Moving down onto the flanking elevations and maintaining the symmetry is a pair of elongated tall octagonal shaped windows before each elevation moves to its more regular whole of long low strip windows speeding horizontally away with the vertical fluted stone pilasters punctuating the rhythm.
The fluted pilasters of each long elevation were originally according to Historic Scotland decorated with faience (earthernware decorated with coloured opaque glazes) however this has not been verified. The art deco L shaped north and east portions and tower of the building are category B listed (date of listing 17/06/1986).

street address: 140 Salkeld Street and corner of Mauchline Street, Glasgow, G5 8HS
Latitude / Longitude: 55.847974,-4.261461
Site visit: 07 March 2012

view of the west rear warehouses and to the left of the picture the listed art deco styled north elevation. At the end of the north levation can be seen the four storey tower rising above the flat roofed offices (07/03/2012)

west end of the north elevation on Mauchline Street with fluted stone pilasters flanking the window bays (07/03/2012)

doorway at the west end of the north elevation (07/03/2012)

view down the north elevation with the window bays marching eastwards towards the tower. The fluted pilasters rise from a stone base of three courses of stone from ground to sill height (07/03/2012)

view up one of the fluted stone pilasters. The brickwork follows a running bond pattern with flemish bond every second course (07/03/2012)

the curved tops of the fluted pilasters (07/03/2012)

the four storey tower at the north-east corner (07/03/2012)

twin metal gated doorways are topped by a curve fronted flat canopy over the entranceway. Above the remaining three storeys of the tower rise skyward with the vertical elements alternating with the fluted horizontal banding between the now blocked off curved windows (07/03/2012)

view up the north side of the tower with the underside of the curved balcony at first floor level (07/03/2012)

wrought iron railings curve around the balconies (07/03/2012)

twin wrought iron gated doorways at the foot of the north-east tower (07/03/2012)

entrance lobby in the base of the tower, with mosiac floor and double doors ahead leading into the building (07/03/2012)

east flank of the tower, with its curved front and square ended rear (07/03/2012)

view up the east flank of the tower (07/03/2012)

one of a pair of tall octagonal windows at the tower end of the east and north elevations (07/03/2012)

fluted stone details are sited at the base and top of the octagonal windows echoing the fluted pilasters flanking the windows down the long east and north elevations (07/03/2012)

view up the east elevation with the octagonal window at the base, and tower and balcony to the right (07/03/2012)

graffitti tags litter the east elevation; tags of no merit and as so often is the case one tag attracts another until the entire wall is a spray paint shambles like some incontinent spray of mediocrity and juvenille anger (07/03/2012)

view north down the east elevation. The first portion of the east elevation is plainer before it steps up to the eight bay stretch of the listed full height elevation. (07/03/2012)

the tower top from the south showing its side and rear. Note the three courses of red sandstone crowning the tower. (07/03/2012)

view southwards down the east elevation (07/03/2012)

view upwards through a second storey window where the metal trusses of the warehouse roof can be seen with its glazed skylighting (07/03/2012)

the plain south elevation steps down westwards as the site falls away slightly (07/03/2012)

the warehouse portions of the building have contemporary metal profile sheet roofing, and here in the south-east corner two small chimneys rise from the roof (07/03/2012)

stone quoins mark the south-east corner of the building (07/03/2012)

the plain south elevation (07/03/2012)

large vents on the south elevation (07/03/2012)

west elevation with the pitched roof gables and large drive-in roller metal shutters. (07/03/2012)

signage from when the building was used by the Strathclyde police as stables and for dogs (07/03/2012)

cast iron rainwater goods on the west elevation (07/03/2012)

self adhesive target markers can be seen attached on the west side for measuring from and for monitoring a building's movement, the exact reason why these were attached is not known (07/03/2012)

north end of the west eleavtion where the plain warehouses with their pitched roofs meet the flat roofed office portion of the building (07/03/2012)

back to top

mid-city (1918-79)
mid-city homepage
the atlantis, clydebank
bank of scotland, queen st
bellgrove hotel
boac offices
glasgow film theatre
govan subway station
graphical house
institute of genetics
leyland motor co. building
our lady & st francis school
luma tower
the savoy centre
scottish ambulance


website homepage







all images and content copyright © 2013 - architectureglasgow.co.uk
please do not use without permission: contact@architectureglasgow.co.uk

disclaimer & copyright information

- home - building index - about - web links - contact -

www.architectureglasgow.co.uk www.derelictglasgow.co.uk

north-east corner with tower (07/03/2012)