Shettleston Housing Association - Helen McGregor House:
Recently opened this is another of Elder and Cannon's designs, again playing with simple forms to create an elegant building. Like the City Mission the openings in the facade are recessed and it's almost as if a glass box sits inside a solid frame, pushing up against it. The building has a simplicity, with high quality finishes and an interior flooded with light. The brief was to restore the 1912 dated red sandstone hall and to extend eastwards onto a site owned by the Housing Association with a new building to link and extend from the first.
tThe pair of buildings sit alongside each other, both different and yet maintaining similar proportions, the hall is a fine early 20th century hall, the extension a modern architectural sugar lump. Winner of the RIAS Award for Architecture : Andrew Doolan Award for Architecture 2010.

street address: 65 Pettigrew Street, Shettleston, Glasgow, G32 7RX
Latitude / Longitude: 55.851308,-4.172282 (sourced using Google Maps)

front (south) elevation and the view up the side of the building with the roof terrace atop. Each building has five individual bays reaching upwards


top south-east corner with the pale brick of the east blank elevation just discernible, echoing the red brick which covers the sides of the 1912 hall


horizontal symmetry, and an exposed frame calling out echoes of an inverted Villa Savoye


east end of the front elevation


front elevation


looking skyward up the south elevation


top south-east corner


simple T junction unifying horizontal ground and vertical elements


view east along the south elevation


south elevation


fine pale concrete meets metal


the junction between the buildings


the variety of the materials in the two buildings palette


Helen McGregor House


the entrance way sits between the two buildings


the original 1912 pedimented elevation of the hall


building date within the pediment


the red brick side of the hall, the red sandstone front elevation and the vertical stripes of the new build


the six columns flanking the five bays


back to top


View from the east, looking down Pettigrew Street, the building, a large white architectural sugar lump nestles side by side with the Hall to its west.

new city (post 1980)
----------------------------------
new city homepage
----------------------------------
armadillo - clyde auditorium
----------------------------------
glasgow city mission
----------------------------------
milngavie education centre
----------------------------------
radisson blu hotel
----------------------------------
riverside museum
----------------------------------
shettleston housing assoc.
----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------
website homepage
----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------


----------------------------------


----------------------------------

all images and content copyright © 2013 - architectureglasgow.co.uk
please do not use without permission: contact@architectureglasgow.co.uk

disclaimer & copyright information


- home - building index - about - web links - contact -

www.architectureglasgow.co.uk www.derelictglasgow.co.uk