Botanics Gardens Garage:
Designed by architect D.V. Wylie, the garage has been empty for a years and recent proposals for demolition have been denied. Completed in 1912 the two storey garage is one of the oldest, if not the oldest surviving garage in the UK and a neglected gem in the city's west end. It is believed that various parts of the building were adapated from existing structures, but the facade is recognised as being purpose built. Terracotta green and white tiles adorn the entire facade and the style is synonymous with Italian Romanesque with the rounded arches of the three window bays sitting between a doorway to each end. The west side elevation is largely glazed and the lane down the west side then turns around the back of the building. This area has become a dumping ground and as such is a fire hazard and a threat to the building. The building is A listed.

street address: 24 Vinicombe Street, Glasgow G12 8BE
Latitude / Longitude: 55.877135,-4.290287 (sourced using Google Maps)

south front elevation on Vinicombe Street with the green and white terracotta tiled facade


the three window bays with a door bay to each side


car entranceway and cracked tiles


shallow romanesque arches


main entrance


view down the adjacent lane of the west elevation


glazed first half of the west side lane elevation


back half of the west elevation with the roofline which bears similarities to early Italian renaissance style buildings


the west side elevation turns the corner to the north elevation


rear of the building with drive in entrance and sadly now a dumping ground and fire hazard


rusting winch on the rear of the building


back to top



old city (pre-1918)
----------------------------------
old city homepage
----------------------------------
anderson college
----------------------------------
botanics gardens garage
----------------------------------
22 bridge st (bank)
----------------------------------
brown st, tobacco warehouse
----------------------------------
52 charlotte street
----------------------------------
charing cross
----------------------------------
clay pipe factory
----------------------------------
clydebank library
----------------------------------
clydebank town hall
----------------------------------
custom house
----------------------------------
finnieston church
----------------------------------
glasgow school of art (exterior)
----------------------------------
grecian chambers
----------------------------------
215 high street
----------------------------------
hutchesons' hall
----------------------------------
kingston halls
----------------------------------
kinning park pumping station
----------------------------------
1-10 moray place
----------------------------------
muir simpson's warehouse
----------------------------------
orient buildings
----------------------------------
old partick police court
----------------------------------
partick pumping station
----------------------------------
pollockshaws west station
----------------------------------
police offices & barracks
----------------------------------
railway offices (howard st)
----------------------------------
shieldhall sewerage works
----------------------------------
tobacco merchant's house
----------------------------------
74 york st
----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------
website homepage
----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------
all images and content copyright © 2013 - architectureglasgow.co.uk
please do not use without permission: contact@architectureglasgow.co.uk

disclaimer & copyright information


- home - building index - about - web links - contact -

www.architectureglasgow.co.uk www.derelictglasgow.co.uk