Hutchesons' Hall:
Located in the Merchant city area of central Glasgow Hutchesons' Hall was commissioned in 1802 and designed by architect David Hamiltion (1768-1843). One of the great Glasgow architects Hamilton was influenced by the Adam brothers.
The original building was sited in Trongate, in 1802 a replacement was commissioned to be built at a new site. Classically styled, the building was built at the north end of Hutcheson Street and features two statues carved by sculptor James Colquhoun in 1649 of the Glasgow lawyers Thomas and George Hutcheson on its south elevation. The Hutcheson brothers had bequeathed monies left in trust to build a school for poor boys and an old men's hospice. These statues were originally incorporated in the Trongate building and thus pre-date the Hamilton building by over 150 years. A resplendent icon of the city centre the new Hutchesons' Hall opened in 1805 and later that century in 1876 building was extensively remodelled by architect John Baird.
With a banded ashlar ground floor the first floor is a double height space with a pair of corinthian pillars centrally located on the south elevation, flanked by a pair of fluted pilasters with the statues of the Hutcheson brothers sited to the east and west sides of the south elevation respectively. The banded ashlar ground floor is continued on the less decorative west elevation where a large pair of pedimented windows pierce the first floor with small attic windows above. The building as a whole is crowned by an impressive octagonal tower topped by a clock face on repeated on the four compass directions. Atop the clock face s the tower ascends, now circular in town before being finally topped by a fluted cone spire with ball and weather vane as a final flourish.
The building is currently owned by the National Trust who oversaw its repair and refurbishment . In 2010 further work was carried out including the painting of the blond ashlar exterior a gleaming white colour. The building is category A listed.

street address: 158 Ingram Street, Glasgow, G1 1EJ
Latitude / Longitude: 55.859879,-4.247603 (sourced using Google Maps)
Site visit date: 10 June 2011

view north up Hutcheson Street with the Hall's south elevation ahead (10/06/2011)


south elevation with banded ashlar ground floor, and double height first floor (10/06/2011)


south elevation with the three windows, two fluted corinthian columns and pair of pilasters to each side. The statues of the founding Hutcheson brothers flank the central portion (10/06/2011)


central carving an corinthian capitals (10/06/2011)


corinthain capital atop one of the columns (10/06/2011)


the central south elevation first floor area (10/06/2011)


view east along the south elevation (10/06/2011)


statue of George Hutcheson (10/06/2011)


statue of Thomas Hutcheson (10/06/2011)


corinthian capital atop one of the pilasters (10/06/2011)


the octagonal tower, with clock and circular base to the slender fluted cone which rises skyward (10/06/2011)


clock faces (10/06/2011)


south-west corner of the building (10/06/2011)


main door on the south elevation (10/06/2011)


west elevation (10/06/2011)


city trail plaque (10/06/2011)


south end of the west elevation (10/06/2011)


north end of the west elevation (10/06/2011)


doorway at the north end of the west elevation (10/06/2011)


view east along Ingram Street with the building viewable on the north side of the street (10/06/2011)





back to top



old city (pre-1918)
----------------------------------
old city homepage
----------------------------------
anderson college
----------------------------------
botanics gardens garage
----------------------------------
22 bridge st (bank)
----------------------------------
brown st, tobacco warehouse
----------------------------------
52 charlotte street
----------------------------------
charing cross
----------------------------------
clay pipe factory
----------------------------------
clydebank library
----------------------------------
clydebank town hall
----------------------------------
custom house
----------------------------------
finnieston church
----------------------------------
glasgow school of art (exterior)
----------------------------------
grecian chambers
----------------------------------
215 high street
----------------------------------
hutchesons' hall
----------------------------------
kingston halls
----------------------------------
kinning park pumping station
----------------------------------
1-10 moray place
----------------------------------
muir simpson's warehouse
----------------------------------
orient buildings
----------------------------------
old partick police court
----------------------------------
partick pumping station
----------------------------------
pollockshaws west station
----------------------------------
police offices & barracks
----------------------------------
railway offices (howard st)
----------------------------------
shieldhall sewerage works
----------------------------------
tobacco merchant's house
----------------------------------
74 york st
----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------
website homepage
----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------
all images and content copyright © 2013 - architectureglasgow.co.uk
please do not use without permission: contact@architectureglasgow.co.uk

disclaimer & copyright information


- home - building index - about - web links - contact -

www.architectureglasgow.co.uk www.derelictglasgow.co.uk