Kingston Halls:
The west side of the building shows a 1903 building date for this large hall, Carnegie funded public library and police office attributed to the architect Robert William Horn (1869-1932). A large building on the southside of Glasgow the southern front elevation is red sandstone with a high level of detailing exhibiting the exuberance and excessive detailing associated with influence from the baroque period where high renaissance architecture had evolved into the flamboyance of the baroque period.
The red sandstone continues down the first portion of the west elevation, after which the building reveals the material used in the majority throughout the building: red brick. Whilst the west elevation is fenestrated the east elevation comprises of a party wall to begin the southern end of the elevation where until 2010 a tenement sat sharing a party wall with the halls until it was gutted by fire and subsequently demolished. Behind the short party wall the halls steps back allowing windows on the east elavation on this portion where a gap between the buildings acted as a lightwell. The north elevation is the rear of the building an plain brick with none of the flamboynace of the public southern elevation.
The southern elevation has a grand entrance which has since been blocked off, with a small wall and windows above, the main entrance now is to the east of the front elevation through the former public library doorway. adorning the gran south elevation is a series of decorations from small relief plaques and a large red sandstone carved 'figure of learning' a female form by sculptor Richard Ferris (1886-1915) which is a particularly fine sculpture. Also adorning the building amongst the classical and baroque stylings is a large Glasgow crest proclaiming the city's motto of 'Let Glasgow Flourish' as can be seen on a great many buildings of this period. No longer a public hall, the building currently houses the Talbot Association, a charity dealing with the homeless.

street address: 330-346 Paisley Road, Glasgow, G5 8RE
Latitude / Longitude: 55.853793,-4.274362 (sourced using Google Maps)
site visit date: 14 August 2011

south elevation building signage (14/08/2012)


south elevation onto Paisley Road (14/08/2012)


the ornate heavily decorated baroque entranceway. The new blockwork at ground level indicates that here is the site of the former doors, now converted to windows. The fat stubby columns seperates the two door spaces, above slender columns lead the eye past plant relief sculpture to a fine sculptural relief of the Glasgow arms between the classical arch which shapes into scrolls as it parts for the arms to rise up through it (14/08/2012)


relief plaque by sculptor Richard Ferris flanking the former main door on the west side (14/08/2012)


relief plaque by sculptor Richard Ferris flanking the former main door on the east side (14/08/2012)


the fat central stubby column on ground floor level centre, an extreme example and exaggeration of entasis first seen on Greek classical buildings (14/08/2012)


'Let Glasgow Flourish' (14/08/2012)


moving furtehr up the central over door portion of the front elevation is a large semi-circular window (14/08/2012)


busts adorning the piers of the semi-circular window (14/08/2012)


pedimented top of the south elevation (14/08/2012)


one of the numerous oculus windows, with decorative keystone style detailing at each quarter turn (14/08/2012)


at the east end of the south elevation is the small former public library entrance which now acts as the main entrance for the building as a whole (14/08/2012)


the 'figure of learning' on the first floor level (14/08/2012)


cluthching a sheaf of papers to her corsetted breast the figure of learning gazes from the southern elevation (14/08/2012)


south-east corner of the building, the advertising hoarding covers the former party wall to the tenement which was demolished in 2010 (14/08/2012)


sourced from Google streetview this view is pre-April 2010 and shows the tenement which shared the block with the Kingston Halls throughout the 20th century which lay derelcit for some time before its destruction. Following a huge fire the tenement was demolished (14/08/2012)


east elevation (14/08/2012)


rear view of the north-east corenr of the building (14/08/2012)


northe-west corner of the builidng (14/08/2012)


the southern end of the west elevation is like the south elevation dressed with ashlar and fine detailing (14/08/2012)


1903 building date caved in red sandstone on the west elevation (14/08/2012)


balcony on the west elevation (14/08/2012)


the join between the plain red brick and polished ashlar (14/08/2012)


view up the south-west corner (14/08/2012)


twin oculus windows on the south-west corner (14/08/2012)


south-west corner (14/08/2012)




next building in the old city category

back to top


south-west corner of the building and the view east along Paisley Road with the Kingston Bridge and Co-op building to the right of the photograph (14/08/2012)

old city (pre-1918)
----------------------------------
old city homepage
----------------------------------
anderson college
----------------------------------
botanics gardens garage
----------------------------------
22 bridge st (bank)
----------------------------------
brown st, tobacco warehouse
----------------------------------
52 charlotte street
----------------------------------
charing cross
----------------------------------
clay pipe factory
----------------------------------
clydebank library
----------------------------------
clydebank town hall
----------------------------------
custom house
----------------------------------
finnieston church
----------------------------------
glasgow school of art (exterior)
----------------------------------
grecian chambers
----------------------------------
215 high street
----------------------------------
hutchesons' hall
----------------------------------
kingston halls
----------------------------------
kinning park pumping station
----------------------------------
1-10 moray place
----------------------------------
muir simpson's warehouse
----------------------------------
orient buildings
----------------------------------
old partick police court
----------------------------------
partick pumping station
----------------------------------
pollockshaws west station
----------------------------------
police offices & barracks
----------------------------------
railway offices (howard st)
----------------------------------
shieldhall sewerage works
----------------------------------
tobacco merchant's house
----------------------------------
74 york st
----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------
website homepage
----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------
all images and content copyright © 2013 - architectureglasgow.co.uk
please do not use without permission: contact@architectureglasgow.co.uk

disclaimer & copyright information


- home - building index - about - web links - contact -

www.architectureglasgow.co.uk www.derelictglasgow.co.uk