Partick Pumping Station:
Opened in 1904 by Glasgow Corporation. This ornate red sandstone building sits on the west bank of the River Kelvin on Dumbarton Road. Still used as a water facility, the main building is a large hall tiled with gloss white tiles. The hexagonal feature at the south visble in the centre of the panorama above is the base of where a tall slender hexagonal chimney was formerly sited. The building is grade B listed.

street address: 35 Dumbarton Road, Glasgow, G11 6PE
Latitude / Longitude: 55.869725,-4.29542 (sourced using Google Maps)

east elevation from Dumbarton Road as it bridges and crosses over the River Kelvin


carving on the east elevation with the inauguration date of 1904


view from the bridge on Dumbarton Road showing the east elevation, sewage pipe running across the River Kelvin and in the background a large block of flatted accomodation currently under construction (april 2011)


view of the south and east elevations from across the River Kelvin


detail of part of the roofline of the south elevation, note the huge crows steps and the small hexagonal base to the small roofline dome, this hexagonal shape is echoed in the shape of the chimney base (see next photograph)


capped octagonal base on which the former chimney was sited


north elevation on Dumbarton Road, with the castellated feature turning the corner between the east and north elevations


part of the north elevation


east portion of the north elevation


hexagonal base and dome on the roofline


west part of the north elevation


central projecting element of the north elevation


inauguration plaque (30th May 1904) on the north elevation


view east back along the north elevation with Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum visible in the background on the left of the photograph


back to top



power / utilities
----------------------------------
power / utilities homepage
----------------------------------
kinning park pumping station
----------------------------------
linthouse sub-station
----------------------------------
partick pumping station
----------------------------------
shieldhall sewerage works
----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------
all images and content copyright © 2013 - architectureglasgow.co.uk
please do not use without permission: contact@architectureglasgow.co.uk

disclaimer & copyright information


- home - building index - about - web links - contact -

www.architectureglasgow.co.uk www.derelictglasgow.co.uk